Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just a Teaser

I made the coolest discovery and I just had to share. Ok it was someone else's discovery, but where do discoveries come from, really?

Paul and I were invited to a birthday party and I offered to make a pecan pie. But with me being me, I didn't want it to be just any old run of the mill pecan pie. I subscribe to Fine Cooking magazine, and I must say the recipes in there are pretty reliable. I received the Oct/Nov edition recently and there are Thanksgiving recipes in there for crapsake! Actually, they look pretty good. The real find was in the pie article, specifically the coffee-toffee pecan pie. I initially was put off because the recipe called for Lyle's Golden Syrup as a substitute for some of the corn syrup that is always present in pecan pie. Where was I going to find THAT, I fumed and mentally clicked off.

Well, Thursday I decided if there was a market that carried it, it would probably be Podesto's over on Pacific. So I lured Paul out with me with promises of food finds, and lo - in the syrup aisle sat several cans of Lyle's golden panacea. I snagged a can and determined to make that coffee-toffee pie. The pie uses an all butter crust and it turned out great - flaky, buttery, good texture. The pie was to-live-for, with the richness of toasted pecans, the intensity of a little espresso and the mystery of toffee. Run out and buy Fine Cooking now! I mean now!


Here's the teaser - I took an idea from the filling recipe. I didn't know if there was a possible substitute for light corn syrup - light corn syrup contains high fructose corn syrup which if you've been reading this blog, you know I despise. Lyle's is thick like corn syrup and a pretty golden color. The thrill is I have a great recipe for chocolate almond toffee, which requires that you cook sugar to make caramel and add light corn syrup which contains high fructose corn syrup, which as you know I never miss an opportunity to malign. (Sorry, getting repetitive.)


When I make this toffee again, perhaps for a party, shall we say, I am going to use Lyle's golden elixir of the gods and I expect to get a good result. I will let you know and give you the recipe. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment